Friday, June 8, 2007

Pre-Shabbess Ruminations

My mom is starting to remind me of my grandmother lately, and I see more of my mother in myself with each passing day. Does that mean that I will one day become like my grandmother? My grandmother was a wonderful woman, and unfortunately I don't think about her enough since her passing, but even so I want to be my own woman leaving my own impact on my children I will one day, G-d willing, have. I wonder if I will be an old lady teaching my grandchildren about poetry slams in New York City back in the 1990s and early 2000s before dreams of Israel came into reality. Maybe they'll think I'm crazy and so I will direct them to Wikipedia the Nuyorican Poets Cafe.

Lately I've been a busy-body, helping a close friend do all she can to secure a job for herself and trying to get another friend hitched. Well, really just making plans to show her Shabbat on the UWS and take one for the team by going out in groups so she feels comfortable. I like it. While not busy with work from which I can obtain parnasa, I'm content with personal work - my little extracurriculars that make me feel a sense of accomplishment by knowing I'm helping to make someone happy.

And I realized it's quite nice to now have religious friends in the neighborhood. I think I may actually like Shabbat at home more than in the city. Who'da thunk it? Let's see how Shabbat will be in Crown Heights - yikes!

Shabbat shalom l'kulam.

No comments: