Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dear Corporate America:

It is 2:10 in the morning and while I should be soundly sleeping, I am awake and clicking through three (3) different job search engines. I am tired. I want a good night's sleep. I want financial security. Simply put: I want a job. Because I am sick of second guessing my choice to stay in New York and not return to Israel. I am sick of questioning if I made the right decision when I thought that there would be more opportunity for me in my native New York. But after months of interviews that lead to more interviews that lead to nothing, I am starting to feel something that goes beyond frustration; I am beginning to feel despair.

I have become a monkey dressed in a suit that barely fits me anymore since I've had to forgo my gym membership. My nails are a constant shade of boring that is something between beige and pale pink. I have become a hermit who only ventures to the city during the week if I have an interview scheduled. I have grown to truly appreciate honesty, because in this city so few people have been honest with me.

Corporate America, let me be honest with you. I am experienced. I am qualified if not overqualified. I am hungry - literally - and I am so ready for the opportunity to prove to you that if you take a chance and hire this girl who is tired of answering the same questions over and over again (my experience is on my resume; if there are any job updates I will let you know) that you will not regret it. Because I have a new found appreciation for ID cards, unlimited MetroCards, gym memberships, personal coffee mugs and weekly status meetings. I also have a new found appreciation for a steady income.

Corporate America, I beseech you. Do not see my year away from you as something detrimental to my career and your ability to make more money, but rather as proof that I can make it anywhere with my will to survive. I am creative, I am driven, and I can multi-task with the best of them. So as one of my favorite poets, Beau Sia, says, " Give me a chance, and I'll change the world!"

My resume is enclosed for your review and writing samples can be provided. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Candidate for Hire

No comments: