Friday, June 20, 2008

New York is a trip

I just had a day of extremes. Filled with corporate nonsense and room decorating by day and adventures of sorts at night. After purchasing sheets for my new bed at the mega mart that is Bed Bath & Beyond, I ventured midtown to meet a chabadnik and to catch some spoken word where we were quite the minority. After a drink that made my eyes sleepy, we headed downtown for the best falafel in town and later for some chulent. Well, rather a weekly gathering of eclectic personalities called chulent. A mix of Jews all in the same pot.

Tonight's lecture was about Shabtai Tzvi - a false messiah who had many marriages in his lifetime and whose prophet used the argument that as long as he is alive he can't be disputed as being the messiah. The lecturer made a comparison to the Lubavitcher Rebbe. This is supposedly the reason he left the movement.

I still have sleepy eyes. I'm still happy it's Sivan. I still need to grow up because if an unmarried 31 year old lubavitcher thinks i'm getting up there at 26...well maybe he has a point. Shabbat Shalom xx

No comments: