Tuesday, July 15, 2008

This life, it breathes sometimes

And this heart, it bleeds sometimes. And poetry, sometimes it doesn't happen enough even though it happens all the time.

I want to witness your soul bare on its back below me
As I hover and writhe uncontrollably
You will know the wrath of me as they all do
Broken and battered as I am like a severed head medusa
And I dare you to know where that line came from
But I promise it's not mine

Hello, she said, into the phone line
Remember when poetry was pure as I do
Remember the Brooklyn rooftops and basement gravity bongs
Remember applesauce cups as ashtrays
Remember longing for 2001 as I do
Remember it all and remember it well as I do
I once stood on the cusp of my youth on the corner of Memory Lane as you did
With the warm blood of a teenager going somewhere fast
Now trying to remember how I got to the here and now
Hear this -
I still want to love as many as I can
But I hope that all it takes is one
To take me there

Free write my life so I can right all the wrongs in it
You hold the key and always have, always did, always will
Always

1 comment:

Shara Grif said...

That was lovely.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)