Thursday, April 5, 2007

1+1=1

So this guy comes up to Reb Shlomo Carlebach z"tl and says to him, "Hey Reb Shlomo, I think you're great and I would really love to write your biography." So Reb Shlomo looks at this man and goes "Okay but first I have to ask you some questions." The man agrees and Reb Shlomo begins his questioning. "What's 1+1?" Reb Shlomo asks the man who looks at him curiously and answers quite naturally "Two." Reb Shlomo asks him "What's 1+1+1?" The man replies "Three." Reb Shlomo then asks "What's 1+1+1+1?" to which the man responds "Four." After a short amount of time Reb Shlomo thanks the man for coming and for his interest but let's him know that it wouldn't work out and he can't allow the man to write his biography.

What's the point? How can it be that 1+1+1+1+1=1? Because if we are to live as spiritual beings on this Earth we need to realize that everything is one. That the man sitting next to me is my brother and a reflection of G-d and should therefore be treated as such. That everything is a direct extension of G-d's hand and that everything has a direct effect on the world - spiritual and physical. And so you would think what's the big deal? Why couldn't that man just write Reb Shlomo's biography anyway? But see because for a man like Reb Shlomo only someone who understands that 1+1=1 is someone who could be trusted to write his biography and could understand him.

While spending time with a friend from NY we were related this story and immediately we got it. Even before the story's end we just knew, and our souls were alight as a result of it. I often feel that this is the difference between my friends in NY and my friends here. That while so few people in the world actually "get" and understand me, it seems like the only people I would trust to write my biography are in NY. Granted this can be a bit premature. You can't compare people who have known you for 12+ years to people who have know you for less than 12 months. But even so, I believe that my attraction to spiritual feel-good concepts is almost lost on those who get caught up in the law (in NY and abroad). I miss the ones I turn to when I feel like talking about G-d for 5 hours and how living in the moment is so important and to realize that there is only One Moment which is THE Moment. And once again, dear reader, I feel like I have lost you (and myself). Chag Sameach! xoxo!

No comments: