Monday, April 23, 2007

A year ago today

A year ago today I realized that Israeli Independence Day is by far one of if not my favorite holiday. Overlooking Kikar Rabin from my King David balcony, standing with my Israeli roommate and watching the fireworks that seemed to be made just for us at that moment, I contemplated the idea of living here forever. If I could love one moment so much and have the opportunity to enjoy it for the rest of my life, well that just seemed so perfect. And it is. This is still one of my most favorites times of the year. The weather is still so unpredictable but the air so delicious. I love this country with all my heart. New York may be a long lost lover, but Israel can be a beautiful wife, an aishet chayil who has the Shabbat table set and ready when you come home from the beit knesset every week.


Juke Box Love Song - Langston Hughes
I could take the Harlem night
and wrap around you,
Take the neon lights and make a crown,
Take the Lenox Avenue busses,
Taxis, subways,
And for your love song tone their rumble down.
Take Harlem's heartbeat,
Make a drumbeat,
Put it on a record, let it whirl,
And while we listen to it play,
Dance with you till day—
Dance with you, my sweet brown Harlem girl

No comments: