Wednesday, September 26, 2007

2-day chag...let the fun begin

During my last trip to Israel I officially made yerida - moving outside of Israel. Of course as you all may not know, I never officially declared that I was moving to Israel for the rest of my life. Rather, it started as a few months of time after I quit my job in New York and I just wound up staying. In order to work legally at my last job in Israel I needed to get a Teudat Zehut (ID card), which was rather easy for me being as my dad is Israeli. So technically I guess I did make aliyah, but I'm still waiting for the day when I make some huge declaration of where I will live for a significant portion of my life.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah. Israelis (living in Israel) get to observe 1 day of religious holidays where us folk living in shmutz l'aretz have to observe 2. I knew that anyway (plus I believe in keeping the law of the land), and in years like this where a 2-day holiday goes straight through Shabbat, that's a lot of time in synagogue and lying around doing nothing and eating!

Tonight begins the holiday of Sukkot. It also begins me hanging around the Upper West Side and trying to get better (the recent change of climate has taken its toll on my immune system). In short, to those who live in Israel, enjoy your day in between chag and Shabbat. And to those who live in shmutz l'aretz, let the fun begin. To all - Chag Sameach and Shabbat Shalom! Happy shaking :)

1 comment:

Galadriel Thompson said...

Hi, I found your site in a round about way and I'm glad I did.
I wish you much happiness in your new home.