Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How Beauty PR is sometimes like pledging a sorority

So it goes like this:

You want these beauty editors to feature your product. Well how can they if they don't have it in their hands for the look and feel of it? So you waste paper and use a big bag with a logo and 3 sheets of tissue paper for one little mascara all so it should look pretty and then you spend over $8 for a messenger to walk it a few blocks over. This happens a lot. I get it and not a big deal. In fact, it's a great thing for us and the client to have to send so much product out because in the end we get the placements and they get happy. I like it and I like the satisfaction knowing that my contact resulted in a hit however small it may be.

Then you have the gift baskets. Because some clients need things to be super pretty even if they'll never see it. So then you become an expert in gift basket making. But because it has to be so pretty, you can't just find a crap basket for $3 each, you have to get the nice ones that wind up costing $200 for 15. Then the filler and the plastic wrap and the ribbon and before you know it you apparently spent four years of college to spend half a day making baskets for some person you'll never meet. But it'll make them happy and it'll make the client happy so you're happy to do it. But then you realize half the day is shot and you still have reports to finish and emails to send and anxiety builds up a bit and it's this crazy overwhelming feeling of WTF do I do now and where do I begin.

And it feels like you're pledging a sorority staying up till G-d knows when doing arts and crafts projects when you should really be doing homework, but you want the pretty girls to like you right? And you want to make your project the best project but in the end you're left to wonder "is it all worth it?" And I guess for now my answer is yes. And I tell myself to stop bitching about it because all the ones before me had to do it but how do I keep on with a smile on my face? When I'm being repremanded by someone who thinks she's a good manager.

All I know is I've been up since 3:30am and I still am not home yet. In another land where the people are as warm as the climate I once had a life that allowed for love and self-improvement. Ultimately I know I will make my way back there, but for now I feel that this experience is a necessary evil. I regret nothing but wasted time.

2 comments:

The Ginrod said...

yes. i suppose this all is a good experience. you'll be back soon enough to the land of "we can't afford to buy that shit your packing up because our salaries are too low!"

cornflake girl said...

Haha what if we all pool our money together? I'm sure we can afford a lipstick!