Monday, October 27, 2008

Smile like you mean it

So being unemployed leaves me with a lot of time to apply for jobs, go to the gym at my leisure, and stay in bed and watch TV. When I was dealing with my recent bout of insomnia I was catching up on old episodes of 90210 - which I'd just like to say are still quite enjoyable and much more entertaining than the new 90210, despite the scene alluding to oral sex occuring in a car in the school parking lot.

Anyway, today it's catching up on The O.C. in between job applications and online conversations. This is the episode where I would have loved The Killers after one listen had I actually watched the show back in 2004. Instead, I was too busy enjoying my time as a new graduate and going to the gym after work, or shiurim or smoking hookah and drinking with my friends crashing on couches or arriving in Queens at 1am. Ah to be young again with such stamina.

Instead I fell in love with The Killers at the same time that I fell in love with the Arctic Monkeys. It was spring riding the cusp of summer where I would find myself many times alone in a Tel Aviv office on Achad Haam after my boss would be too busy cavorting with who knows, possibly toking on the beach while I was cooped up indoors left to my own devices. Which became playing with
Hype Machine and blasting my playlists while having dance parties as I updated online news content. I used to rock out hard. And sometimes have sneaky cigarettes on the balcony with, at most times, the only other person in the office. We would make jewelry out of paper clips and talk about life and my constant regret and confusion and uncertainty and love for the country. We'd talk about other things as well but that's not for here.

But back to The Killers. And the Arctic Monkeys. And 2006. It was a really good year and I wish I could re-live many of those moments. So typical of the Gemini. Just when I think I am sinking so low that I am almost at rock bottom, I somehow see a silver lining and happily remember how hard I smile and dance when spring cusps summer.

No comments: