Sunday, December 28, 2008

And this is what I remember

New Year's two years ago, balancing friends, a then-boyfriend, and in between comforting a mourning friend we met. You don't remember that moment, when you told me your name and I said "oh so you're _______," like I had heard so much about you and it was a pleasure to finally meet.

When in fact you probably heard more about me, the American who "wasn't like the other girls," you would later decide that it was time to get to know me better. State your intentions. Ever the English gentleman.

New Year's two years ago in the middle of the countdown my then-boyfriend frantically searching for my face, asking the night, "Where's my girlfriend?" I reappeared just in time for our New Year's kiss. How laughable that we place such importance on that one moment in time when weeks later our relationship ran its course. Would it have made a difference if that kiss had been spared?

I don't want a New Year's kiss unless it's with someone I love. Because it's almost 2009 and I'm still trying to figure out what happened to 2007. Wondering how different and beautiful my 2008 would have been. Remembering all the great expectations we placed on this year, 2008 I will kiss you goodbye - slowly and bitter-sweet. You never did live up to your promises.

No comments: