Tuesday, March 27, 2007

It's gonna be all right

Sometimes it's good to meet up with old friends even when you're so tired you feel like you might pass out mid-sentence. Last night I did what I always do when a friend is in town about to leave the country and I'm tired beyond belief - I pick myself up and go out.

We met at a bar/cafe across from the park which I realized I used to walk by all the time noticing the guitarist playing on the steps and yet never going in. We talked about the state of affairs of the country and our lives. After an attempt at defining cultural Judaism, the only clear sentence I could get out was "I need a plan." He promised that he would work one out with me by the time I got home. Turns out his stop was way before mine and I was left with the question "what are you passionate about?" In truth, I haven't a clue anymore. Honestly. What could I answer? G-d? Judaism? Torah? The idea of a family? My friends? Poetry??? I certainly can't say politics. What am I passionate about?

I thought it was a little depressing at first, so I slowly walked home in the cool Tel Aviv night alone wondering where my path will lead me and what my plan will be. As I turned the corner on my street, my iPod did that thing I love where it manages to find just the right song to suit my mood. Standing in front of my building listening to Coldplay, looking up at that lone star and appreciating the quiet moments Tel Aviv has to offer, I realized that none of that mattered anymore. I will find my passion, or rather it will find me. And in terms of a plan, I'll make it up as I go along.

No comments: